Sorbisense is a knowledge-based company that develops, manufactures and markets patented technology for environmental monitoring of water quality.
Dr Hubert de Jonge and Dr Gadi Rothenberg, the founders of Sorbisense, received the Bayer Crop Science Innovation Award 2006 for the Sorbisense achievement; a revolutionary method of measuring water quality.
The Sorbisense technology provides a new and better solution for measuring water quality. It can supplement or replace traditional grab sampling and is cost-effective whether the issue is ground water, drinking water, agricultural effluents, fish farming, wastewater treatment plants, industrial wastewater, or lakes and ponds.
Sorbisense efficiently fulfils many requirements for measuring water quality and offers precise and reliable monitoring of concentrations of nitrate, phosphorous, pesticides, oil and tar components, heavy metals and Volatile Organic Compounds.
Sorbisense’ technology is especially advantageous if concentrations vary strongly with time, making it difficult to collect representative grab samples. Application areas include:
- Groundwater monitoring at contaminated sites
- Monitoring ground- and surface water in agricultural or nature areas
- Control and monitoring of waste water.
Some examples of applications include:
- Monitoring effluents from in-situ pump & treat: VOCls and aromatics
- Multi-depth concentration profiling of VOCls and pesticides in groundwater
- Nitrate and phosphorus leaching from agricultural land to groundwater, tile drains and surface water
- Pesticide monitoring in tile-drain and surface water
Sorbisense equipment offers unique benefits:
- Easy installation
- Weighed average in-situ sampling over long time periods
- No pre-pumping or liquid sample handling
- No need for infrastructure – no power, pumping or vacuum
- Full compatibility with routine lab methods (GC, HPLC)
- Robust calculation of solute concentrations
The Sorbisense SorbiCell is a novel, patented technology for passive sampling of substances in water.
The Sorbisense Sorbicell is a porous cartridge that “filters” particular solutes from water passing through it. The cartridge also contains a environmentally neutral tracer salt that dissolves proportionally as the water passes through the cartridge thus accurately detecting the volume of passing water. This method enables calculation of the average concentration of solutes over an extended time scale.
Different SorbiCell’s are suitable for measuring nitrate and phosphorous, pesticides, volatile organic compounds, oil and tar and heavy metals, and many other substances.
A range of specially developed mountings enable the various SorbiCells to be used to measuring in groundwater, lakes and streams, drain and sewage pipes and pressurized pipes.
The chemical analysis of the SorbiCells is easily made at commercial laboratories using standard GC/MS methods that fulfil requirements from the relevant authorities.